Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bohemian Home

I don't like working around other photographers.
I know some photogs like to watch others work and/or get that feeling of superiority when they know you're doing well. For me though, I always feel afraid that someone will copy my ideas, and I even feel embarrassed and apologetic for being so damn good at what I do.
Let me explain.

I was recently commissioned to create some images for an ad to be used by a local store - Bohemian Home. They had just introduced 'Bohemian's Next Top Model', where the winner each month gets to appear in their latest ad campaign.
Apparently, when the store manager scheduled with me (2 days before the shoot) she had been drinking just a little. LoL So when I didn't call her the next day (I didn't have her number with me - but texted the stylist that I would be there), even though I confirmed her for 1 o'clock, she assumed that since she hadn't talked to me that I wouldn't show up. Chaos!
So, little do I know, but the shoot gets rescheduled for 3:30 pm, and an intern from a local free paper is doing the shoot. WTF?

Long story shorter, we both end up shooting the same model - only I get to set up my own shots and so does she. It was weird for me though because I had part of my mobile setup - Alien Bee lights + stands, my Nikon D200 + SB600, and my MacBook Pro. The intern came in with a Canon. Nothing against Canon at all - such a great camera, especially for action. I just felt bad for even being there... I didn't want her to feel like I was showing off or trying to be better than her. Awkwardness therefore ensued.
Anyway. Let's move on. This is what the model (Jenna) looked like before her makeover (not my photo):
She's so cute!
My friend Kelly Odom and her makeup artist Daniel did wonders for this young lady, and I had the pleasure of documenting it. Check out some of my faves:


The lime green chair she's sitting on there had a $1700 price tag on it... lol

Quite posh, huh. I do believe this was my favorite commercial shoot that I've been on - having a wardrobe person and a stylist to help me was SO GREAT! It usually takes me longer to set up a shot because I have to fix all the small details that are askew in the photo. On this shoot I had people to do it for me... and they did it RIGHT! I was giddy with joy.

So, even after all the confusion, I ended up having a blast, and coming out with some nice images for both the Bohemian Home Store and I. This is the one I like for the ad...


when it's published, I'll post it here.
Here's to assistants! hehe ;)
*VC*

No comments: